I have been working on perfecting a cheesy-creamy Burger Casserole for months now. Today’s iteration was delicious, so I’m going to share it with you. This is another one of my high-protein-target meals — trying for high protein, low fat, and still tasty.
Again, please remember: I cook big. I like to cook meals I can eat all freaking week. I like meals I can freeze and eat later when I am lazy. This is a giant casserole, it makes 6 servings/meals, it’s a lot of food. Don’t be shocked! Be lazy like me, make this and eat for a week. 😀
- 1.3 lb 96% lean ground beef/sirloin (the package I had was 1.3lb. Anywhere from 1-1.5 should work, it will just alter your macros/calories slightly.)
- 1 13.5-oz box whole grain pasta (I used Barilla whole grain, shells)
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 98% fat free
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 1 bag (680 g) frozen broccoli
- 1 cup 2% milk shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Boil water for your pasta, and cook according to package directions.
- Brown the ground beef on the stovetop. Add seasonings as desired: I have a “Burger” seasoning mix and a salt-free herb mix I like to use.
- Add the cream of chicken soup (no milk!), cottage cheese, ricotta cheese to your casserole dish.
- As the noodles finish, mix them in to the casserole dish. When the meat is browned, mix it into the casserole dish.
- Add the bag of frozen broccoli and, yeah, mix it into the casserole dish. Make sure everything is happily mixed up.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 min, or until heated through and the cheese on top is all melty.
Makes 6 meals/servings. As I made it, each serving has:
- 539 calories
- 10.9 g fat
- 63 g carbs
- 43.5 g protein
AND IT’S DELICIOUS.