I’m a researcher. If I spent as much time actually working out as I do reading about it, I wouldn’t still have tummy pudge. I love learning about things, but putting it into practice is the hard part. I’m an engineer, so I’m all about efficiency, and if I feel like I’m wasting my time, I stop doing things. This is a great way to suck at consistency. and when you’re trying to get into shape, consistency is key.
This is meant to be a journal which tracks my own exploration into getting healthy, losing weight, building muscle, and training for races — while acknowledging that I’ve got a full time job with a high stress load and a crappy schedule, a part-time graduate degree I’m meant to work on, some health issues to fight, and lots of other responsibilities, including “sleep” and “not getting so stressed I punch someone in the face.” I want to be accountable, even if it’s just to the anonymous Internet. I also want to share the stuff I’ve learned – by researching – and the stuff I’ve learned from experience.
Today is Sunday 01 July 2012, and it seems like the perfect start date for a first post. I’m setting up microgoals and macrogoals for myself — so first, let me explain what I’m working towards at the moment.
- For my first month, I want to either lose weight or lose inches (losing pounds is not necessarily the same as getting thinner; I am okay with either). This means I’ll be trying to hit a small calorie deficit every day.
- I am training for the Warrior Dash, which is at the end of August, so I’ll be trying to do weight training twice a week, and BodyRock (body weight HIIT-type exercise) a few times a week. This also means I am aiming for 35-40% of my calories through protein, or 1 g per bodyweight, especially on days I have done weights.
- I am also training to run a 7.5 mi leg of a marathon relay, which is at the end of September. I’ve created a 12-week training plan using Runner’s World and my previous running experience. July will be the first month of this plan, and since I am recovering from an injury and moving into mid-minimalist running shoes, my goal this month is just to get slow base mileage back up.
- I need to learn how to be consistent. It’s really difficult right now – I am really busy and really stressed, and fairly injured / in pain. However, that’s what BodyRock is for — the Burn workouts are only 12 minutes, but are enough of a challenge that they feel significant. On days I’m too burnt out to do a larger / longer workout, I can at least run an easy 2, or do 12 min of BodyRock.
So my Month One Macrogoals are
- Noticeable difference in body, either weight or inches
- Hit 12+ miles per week running to start off training
- stick with all workouts for this month (consistency is hard)
And my Week 01 Schedule is:
- Sun: 2 mi easy run, BodyRock
- Mon: weights (upper body)
- Tues:5 mi tempo run
- Wed: Rest
- Fri:6 mi long easy run
- Sat:weights (legs)
This looks aggressive right now staring me in the face. But Wed/Thurs are easy — I’m exhausted from my job at that point, and I’ve found I skip workouts if they’re scheduled there, so I leave that as my “workout weekend” — and only 3 of the 13 miles have to be at any kind of speed.
We’ll see how I do.